Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Day +40

Well obviously things have not gone smoothly or I would not be posting. I am going to give the full story and personally feel lots of blame on myself for the incident.

I know the majority already know this and now you all will find out how anal I am about getting things done and the price Miss Dani had to pay which will NOT happen again. Yesterday was a full day of activities again with Clinic all day for Dani and then Gabe had a X-Mas concert that we went to last night. Grandma Boni watched Dani and Ethan for us.

This morning I got up a little later (around 6:30) and got all of Dani's meds ready and then took a shower. I then woke her up and gave her her bottle and all her meds and started her Cyclosprine on her pump. Ethan had just woke up and I did not make it clear but assumed he would keep an eye on her for me. I wanted to run downstairs and start a load of laundry and clean the cat litter because we have had a few accidents with a sick cat lately and I was trying to curve that..... all my excuses on why this happened.

ANYWAY .... when I was coming back upstairs I heard Dani whimpering and she was starting to get really mad. I walked into the living room and saw that her pump was hooked on one of the legs of the chair and the tubing was taunt. Just as I was reaching down to get it to give her some slack she just got mad and yanked her chest and shoulders. The next thing I know and I am sure I yelled "No Dani" pretty loud I see her double lumen on the floor and her still standing.

I yelled quickly for Jason and told him to call 911 because I was sure she had pulled her central line completely out. The cental line enters through her chest and internally ends up in her heart to distribute medicine and draw blood. I laid her down and put pressure on her chest to stop the bleed and Gabe grabbed me a towel.

Jason and I were both in shock at this point and obviously thinking the worst. The boys still do not totally comprehend the extent of what Dani is going through (which is not a bad thing) and was complaining because I was making them do things .... (imagine that).

I kept looking down at her stomach and chest and there was blood but not what I was expecting. When I saw it was not that bad I lifted her up and started figuring out what I would need to take with us in the ambulance.

A officer got there first and was asking questions and said the ambulance was behind him. When the peramedics got there they seem pretty calm with the whole situation which helped me to stay calm. They went and got her carseat out of the van and Dani and I were on our way.

I forgot to mention that Ethan had a doctor's appointment this morning which was one of the reason I was trying to get more done than usual. I called my niece Trish (she was going to watch Dani anyway) and asked her to come over as soon as possible. I then called the Boy's Dad to see if he could handle the appointment for Ethan.

At no point beside when the initial event happened did Dani cry. She was mad about being restrained and scream at the moment of pulling but was laughing soon after, which was amazing. The paramedic was wonderful and sang with me "Itsy Bitsy Spider" to keep Dani entertained while the driver was trying to get around Rush Hour traffic.

We ended up in Emergency where Jason and Grandma Boni arrived and then went to get X-Rays to make sure internally all was well and then up to Hem/Onc to get the line repaired. All ended up fine. The line was fine internally and they repaired it ... which so far so good. I guess the true test will be tonight when we do the next infusion. She missed none of her meds and she is now napping. The issue now will be making sure she does not get an infection from having that line exposed.

I will tell you this. I will be spending the 2 hours twice a day during infusion with her unless she is sleeping. I will not be taking any more chances. I take full responsiblity for the episode and nothing is more important than keeping her safe and sound.


Anonymous said...

Once again, a reminder of what a brave, strong little girl u have!
Slow down! You are a good mother to Dani and the boys and things will happen!!!

Glad all appears to be ok and will pray there is no infection!


Anonymous said...

Don't be too hard on yourself Kelly. You're doing a FANTASTIC JOB!!!

Aunt Pam